Location: Liberia Mission, Inc., Blacktom Town, Montserrado County, Liberia, West Africa
Reports to: LMI Director and FW Executive Director
Start Date: Summer/ Fall 2017
Length of Position: 1 - 2 years, flexible
Franciscan Works is dedicated to the ministry of self-help for children living in poverty in developing countries through education rooted in Gospel values in the spirit of St. Francis of Assisi. We develop the individual potential of children living in poverty so that they can live as God intended, making full use of their talents and abilities for the common good.
Liberia Mission, Inc. (LMI), a program of Franciscan Works, alleviates poverty and promotes transformation by providing quality education, a loving home, and life skills training for children and youth so that they may become capable, responsible, and compassionate citizens and future leaders of Liberia. The St. Anthony of Padua School provides a Catholic education for over 380 students in kindergarten through grade 9. The residential program provides a nurturing home for nearly 100 students who would otherwise have difficulty accessing educational opportunities. The St. Michael the Archangel chapel is a gathering place of worship and spiritual formation for the children, youth, and staff of Liberia Mission, Inc. and the surrounding community.
The LMI Bookkeeper ensures effective and sustainable financial operations and reporting to Franciscan Works and our donors. She/He initiates financial transactions and enters daily financial transactions and receipts into Quickbooks, provides daily reports to Franciscan Works, ensures that expenses meet the budget and successfully develops the operating budget and capital projects with the Mission Director.
The responsibilities of this position include the following:
Bookkeeper (Approximately 75% of this position and will vary by season):
- Manage all day-to-day aspects of the financial operations of Liberia Mission including bookkeeping, budget tracking, payroll, procurement oversight, bidding/ contracting (as needed), payment of bills, Providing daily "Balance Sheet" report to Franciscan Works, etc.
- Assist in preparation and oversight of annual budget; produce and review monthly budget reports
- Assist with school registration on a yearly basis and manage the collection of tuition and fees
- Assist St. Anthony of Padua School with financial management and budgeting
- Evaluate financial policies and work with the Liberia Mission Director to improve policies and practices where needed
- In conjunction with LMI Director, ensure the mission is in compliance with all grant and government ministry reporting
Other Duties (Approximately 25% of this position and will vary by season):
- Other duties as needed and as determined by the LMI Director as they align with Mission needs and the gifts and talents of the person in this position
- $300 stipend paid at the beginning of the month
- 4 weeks-vacation time annually, accrued on a quarterly basis
- Round-trip ticket to Monrovia. If the Financial Manager agrees to commit to a second year of service, Franciscan Works will pay for a plane ticket back to Liberia after a vacation trip home and another plane ticket upon the completion of your term
- Reimbursement up to $200 for immunizations/vaccines needed for your time working with Liberia Mission as recommended by the CDC
- Reimbursement up to $1,300 annually for you to purchase an international health insurance plan. It is recommended that you contact Seven Corners for your international plan
- Pay for the required visas to enter, live and work in Liberia
- Provide room and board. Room includes a single private room on the mission grounds. Board includes shared food and basic toiletries: soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. Room may be shared contingent upon the number of visitors/employees at the Mission
- Pay cost of work related travel and provide transport between the Monrovia airport and the mission
- A cell phone and phone credit for work related phone calls
- Internet onsite at Liberia Mission
- A minimum education of an undergraduate degree in Accounting, Bookkeeping, Financial Management/Business, or a related field;
- Experience with QuickBooks or other Accounting software;
- Experience with the Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Excel;
- Experience with budget creation and management;
- International experience/experience working and living in the developing world;
- Ability to work independently yet collaboratively with minimal supervision and with a proactive attitude;
- Fluent in English and able to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing;
- Practicing Catholic and/or desire to work and live at a Catholic mission;
- Ability to live and work with simple living and office accommodations.
How to Apply
If you feel the call to serve at Liberia Mission, Inc. and believe that you have the required skills and competencies for the position, please send a resume and cover letter via e-mail to Elena Bettis at email@example.com for consideration for this position. Please, no phone calls. If you have questions regarding the position, please email Elena at the above address. This position is open until filled.
A background check will be conducted on all short listed candidates.
Franciscan Works / Liberia Mission, Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer.